The purpose of this blog is to share our life, to tell our story. We love being able to share all the good things and blessings of this gift we call life. But sometimes being real and honest about our life means we have to tell the heartbreaking, painful and dark days with you too.
As most everyone knows by now, my husband's side of our family experienced a terrible tragedy this past Sunday evening. Lana (wife to Jonathan's brother, Timothy) and their three year old son, Amos, were in a car accident half a mile away from their home. Lana never left the scene, Amos was airlifted to the hospital and kept in ICU until yesterday afternoon.
Typing out the words you just read is so hard and feels so trivial. A life has ended, a little boy and his father have been changed forever and all the family members are hurting in more ways than one. I don't want to diminsh in any way the severity of what has happened this week. But honestly, we're all so emotionally/physically worn out from all this that I can't do the situation justice right now. In the upcoming days in weeks I want to share more details and stories and how God has worked through all of this. He is so faithful and good. Always good.
All that to say, for today I simply wish to update everyone with how we're doing and share some of our needs. You've all shown so much care and concern and I don't want you to feel left out as you walk through this with us. So please, take a look at this pictures and peeks into our life for the past few days. Keep walking and praying with us, ok? We need it.
All pictures taken with my phone.
![]() |
| Sunrise right before we were headed out the door to the hospital yesterday. God's reminder that His light always triumphs the dark. |
![]() |
| So much waiting. But having friends and sweet babies to hold makes the time pass faster. |
![]() |
| Keep looking up, right? Being in a Children's Hospital is a strange mix of sadness and smiles. |
![]() |
| Oh, these girls! They keep us smiling us with their silly, innocent ways. So beautiful. |
![]() |
| Watching all these Rodgers men step up, lead and comfort has been amazing to watch. |
![]() |
| More of the lovely little nieces. |
![]() |
| The view from Amos's floor. |
![]() |
| Coffee and the teeniest of messy buns. The little things bring joy and distraction. |
![]() |
| Another nephew. He thought it was hilarious to "hide" from passersby in this cubby. He had us all laughing right along with him. |
![]() |
| Jonathan, his brother Jordan, and their Dad cutting up together at the end of the day. These guys aren't just family, they're best buds. |
![]() |
| Honestly? How we all feel at the end of every day. This picture makes me smile though. You too? Good. |
![]() |
| Where we have spent lots and lots and lots of time. Thankful for such a safe place for all of us, especially Amos. |
Many of you have been asking, "How can we help?" Just the asking means so much and I want to give specific answers. For now, immediate things to pray for are:
>>Amos. He's slowly improving, but has a long way to go. The big, scary things are under control for now but he has multiple injuries to his right arm, face and left leg. It breaks our hearts to watch him suffer so much. But he's fighting hard and the toughest little boy I know. If anyone could pull out of this, it would be him. Pray for him as heals and begins to comprehend life without his mother. His little life is set on an incredibly hard path and he doesn't even know it yet.
>>Timothy (Amos' Dad) He is still in shock. He cares for Amos and talks to his parents, but that's about it. He needs the grace and comfort of Jesus Christ to work powerfully in his life, which I know can happen. He also needs the wisdom to guide Amos through adjusting to their 'new normal'. And to be honest, he simply needs to sleep well.
>>John & Tina (Jonathan's parents). They have been so strong and watching them carry the brunt of their family's burden has been incredible to witness. They continually point to Jesus and draw off His strength but they are tired and, obviously, emotionally worn out. Pray for them to endure.
>>The entire family. We have uncles, aunts, cousins, sisters, brothers, grandparents, nieces and nephews who are all in pain (obviously on Lana's side of the family too). Overall, I would say that our spirits are up and energy pretty good. That doesn't change the fact that this is all. so. hard. Pray for us to have wisdom to know how to help Amos and Timothy. Pray for us to rely on Jesus for every need.
That's all I'll share for prayer requests right now. I know many are asking about hospital bills and such but I don't have the details to properly communicate the needs at this time. As soon as I know something I will tell you. Please know that our church has been there for us from the moment they heard the news. They wait with us, offer to watch kids or clean homes and make sure we're not paying for meals or gas unless we have to.
I don't know what to say to everyone who has prayed and cried for us. We appreciate it so much more than we can say. You are helping us carry this burden whether you can be here or not. That is no small thing. I want you to know that we notice it, we are grateful and are so blessed by it. And above all I want you to know that our story is good, even in this, because God is Author and Finisher of it.
Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills.
My help comes from the Lord,
He will not let your foot be moved;
Behold, he who keeps Israel
The Lord is your keeper;
The sun shall not strike you by day,
The Lord will keep you from all evil;
The Lord will keep
![]() |
| Getting to hold Amos' hand. We love you so much, little buddy. Keep fighting, ok? You're so brave! |













It seems trivial to say "beautiful post," when this post wasn't meant to be pretty or fancy. But it is beautiful, in the God-Is-Faithful kind of beauty.
ReplyDeleteI'm one of the ones thousands of miles away and can't do anything to help, but know I'm praying. For everything.
♥♥♥....
ReplyDeleteWhat an example you are of relying on our sweet Savior through all this. Love you Brea!
ReplyDelete